E l i z a b e t h F l u e h r A r t Z o n e

Color, Shape & Texture in Water Media

ArtResin and Me

"Never say no," said a fellow artist. "Jump fearlessly into new art opportunities." And he was right. I recently started using ArtResin as a way to finish my work, and now the possibilities of ArtResin are endlessly inspirational to me. 

 

            This video explains my process using ArtResin.

            More of my ArtResin videos are available here.

    

 

Following the success of the triptych above, I just had to continue in a similar mode on another collage of my own. 

Using painted papers I made with acrylic inks and acrylics, and with absolutely no plan in mind, this collage grew upward from the lower edge as I cut and glued to create a quilt-like design.

To prevent any lifting of color, I blew diluted acrylic matte medium on the finished image with a mouth atomizer, sealed it with varnish, and then added a coat of ArtResin to beautify and protect this piece.

Still photos can't possibly show how the high gloss and reflectivity of ArtResin brings color to life. I give ArtResin credit for the quick sale of this piece to an avid quilt-maker. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Early Bird", apx. 14" x 24"

 

 

 

 

 The making of "Fibonnaci", a much larger collage with a mathematical theme  . . . 

The Fibonacci Sequence is the series of numbers: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, ... 

The next number is found by adding up the two numbers before it.

This next collage again began with no particular plan, just a selection of mat board corner samples and the intention to use those as the color theme. Once again I manufactured the "fabrics" (colored papers) for this "quilt" (collage) and started cutting and gluing from the bottom edge of my cradled board. I cut the curves against a French curve with an x-acto knife, and here's a tip--where curves will abut you must cut both layers of paper simultaneously to make for a perfect fit. I built row upon row of the "quilt", staying faithful to the original color choices until I tested a scrap of orange paper with them and decided that the addition of orange would be very perky. But not wanting the orange to take over, I decided to start with just one little piece of it and gradually add more pieces in subsequent quilt rows. At this point, the idea of using the Fibonnaci series came to me . . . one orange, one more orange, two oranges, three oranges, five oranges, and so on, working upward, and gradually creating a design that could be interpreted as the spread of a tree. Count the "leaves" across the top, and see that I reached a total of 34.

 

After selecting the initial colors I started to "piece the quilt" in horizontal rows.

ArtResin allows me to make works on paper mounted on hardboard, and the resin protects the finished piece without glass. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Using a mouth atomizer to coat the finished collage with diluted acrylic matte medium prevents later bleeding of the colors.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I propped the artwork on tuna cans and leveled it before applying ArtResin. While the ArtResin was wet, I protected it from dust by covering it with a board propped up on taller cans, plus plastic sheeting. Later I decided to so some light sanding of the first coat of ArtResin and added a second coat.  

 

 

 "Fibonnaci", 29" x 41"

 

 Off and running on the next "quilt" . . . . . .